Q: What is “Amrita”?
A: Amrita, in Sanskrit, means “nectar of the gods.” Amrita bars are made from sun-ripened dried fruits, perfectly preserving all their own nectar.
NUTRITION & INGREDIENTS
Q: What are the basic nutrition facts?
A: Per bar, Amrita Energy Bars contain approximately 195 calories, 7g fat, 29g carbohydrates, and 7g protein. That breaks down to about 60% carbohydrates, 15% protein, and 25% fat. The bars also contain 4g of fiber and 1000mg omega-3 fatty acids. Additionally, they are a good plant-based source of iron and calcium.
Per bar, Amrita Protein Bars contain approximately 230 calories, 8g fat, 30g carbohydrates, and 15g protein. That breaks down to about 50% carbohydrates, 25% protein, and 25% fat. The bars also contain 4g of fiber and 1000mg omega-3 fatty acids. Additionally, they are a good plant-based source of iron and calcium.
The bars contain no dairy, gluten, tree-nuts, soy, cholesterol, preservatives, or genetically modified (GMO) ingredients.
Q: How organic are Amrita bars?
A: On average, approximately 70% of the ingredients used to make Amrita bars are organic.
Q: What kind of plant-based protein do you use?
A: We use Organic brown rice protein – a raw, plant-based protein with a complete amino acid profile that is high in glutamine, arginine, lysine, leucine, and branched-chain amino acids.
Q: Do you use any grains?
A: The only grains used in Amrita bars are in the form of sprouted brown rice protein. Unlike other bars, we do not fill our bars with oats and rice cereal.
Q: Do Amrita bars contain any added vitamins, minerals, or artificial sweeteners?
A: No. Because our bars are raw, mostly organic, highly alkaline, and vegan, they already contain high levels of naturally occurring vitamins, minerals, and nutrients –– and taste great! We do not add any artificial sweeteners since the side effects from artificial sweeteners are well documented.
Q: Are Amrita bars processed in a facility with nuts?
As of right now, Amrita bars are processed in a facility with nuts. To be on the safe side, we do not recommend eating Amrita bars if you have a life threatening allergy. However, we are working on moving to a nut-free facility!
Q: Why don’t you use whey?
A: Whey protein is commonly used in other energy bars on the market, but we wanted to avoid it for several reasons. First, it is unsuitable for vegans and those who are lactose intolerant. Second, whey is a processed byproduct of cheese production. Rather than discard the liquid portion of the milk that remains after cheese has curdled, producers further process whey into a variety of forms, including the whey protein powder used by so many in the bodybuilding and athletic industries. Finally, whey is a notorious culprit for gastrointestinal bloating – a symptom of the body’s difficulty in digesting it.
Q: How do vegetarians satisfy their protein needs?
A: Founder Arshad answers: “As a plant-based endurance athlete, if I had a dollar for every time I was asked this question, I could fund my kids through college!” We live in a society where we have mistakenly been led to believe that meat and dairy products are the best sources of dietary protein. The message is everywhere: from recent high-profile dairy-lobby ad campaigns pushing chocolate milk as the ultimate athletic recovery beverage to a dizzying array of fitness expert testimonials citing “lean animal protein” as crucial to health.
Indeed, protein is an essential nutrient, critical for building and repairing muscle tissue. Proteins consist of 20 different amino acids, 11 of which can be synthesized naturally by the body. The remaining nine –– which we call essential amino acids –– must be obtained from food sources. So, technically, the body requires certain amino acids, not protein, per se. That said, these nine essential amino acids are hardly the exclusive domain of the animal kingdom. In fact, amino acids are originally synthesized by plants and are found in meat and dairy products only because those animals have eaten plants!
A well-rounded, whole-foods, plant-based diet that includes a colorful rotation of sprouted grains, nuts, seeds, vegetables, and legumes will satisfy the protein needs of even the hardest training endurance or body-building athletes –– without the saturated fat that can lead to heart disease, the casein that has been linked to a variety of congenital diseases, or the whey that is merely a low-grade discard of cheese production.
Q: What are some other good sources of plant-based protein?
Quinoa: 11g protein/cup
Lentils: 17.9g protein/cup
Beans (Black, Kidney, Mung, Pinto): 12-15g protein/cup
Spirulina: 6g protein/every 10g serving
Hemp Seeds: 16g protein/per every three tablespoons
Q: What is the shelf life of an Amrita bar?
A: Because the bars have no preservatives, the shelf life of an Amrita bar is one year. To extend shelf life and for best freshness, store bars in a cool place.
Q: What are the top five ways to eat an Amrita bar?
(1) Whole or split with a friend
(2) Crumbled over yogurt, oatmeal, or salads
(3) Blended into your favorite smoothie or shake
(4) As a meal replacement, using two bars to sandwich your favorite nut butter
(5) As dessert, dipped in melted organic dark chocolate (allow to harden in fridge––if you can wait that long)! Get creative!
Q: Why do athletes, pregnant moms, kids, and active families use Amrita bars?
Our amazing bars are filled with plant-based ingredients such as dates, chia seeds, maca and cacao, which are great for athletes. In addition to the nutrition, dates give the bar a wonderfully moist, and soft texture, versus the dry, chalky mouth-feel from oats or whey bars.
- Aids muscle and joint cramping and supports healthy bones
- Dates are high in potassium which helps athletes limit their muscle and joint cramping. There is also an abundance of magnesium in dates, so it helps an athlete’s bone health and energy metabolism. Dates are also high in manganese, a mineral which regulates blood sugar, supports the health of the nervous system, and also aids in absorption of calcium (1). The bars are fortified with rice proteins which are loaded with tons of amino acids.
- Easy on the GI tract
- There are high amounts of natural soluble and insoluble fiber in the bars which allow our product to be easily digestible without causing discomfort(2). Some athletes run into GI problems from other bars because of the added soluble fiber such as isomalto-oligosaccharides that are not found naturally through plant-based ingredients. Brown rice protein does not cause bloating (unlike whey protein), which is crucial for our athletes. There have been studies (2) that show 43% of triathletes reported strong GI discomfort and of those 7% of them were unable to complete the race because of the condition of their GI discomfort.
- Sustained energy levels
- Athletes can also obtain healthy fats from our bars through the coconut and chia seeds. These healthy fats are crucial and are able to provide the necessary fuel for high energy endurance activities. Each bar contains different ingredients to make them unique but the common ingredients like brown rice protein and dates can be found in all, providing the energy and fuel to all athletes, no matter the age.
It’s really important for pregnant women to eat pure and whole foods to try and limit the toxins and artificial ingredients the baby absorbs. This need to eat well could become overwhelming but Amrita bars make this part of pregnancy simple and easy!
- Free of the top 8 allergens
- This means no peanuts, no tree nuts, no dairy, no eggs, no soy, and no gluten! This makes our bar very versatile, clean, and school safe in addition to the amazing taste and texture.
- High levels of nutrients and minerals
- The levels of calcium and iron in our bars are respectively 7% and 15% of daily recommended intake. Our product also uses 70% organic ingredients, and are easily digestible thanks to the 4g of fiber in each bar. They are guilt free snacks that are naturally sweet for the cravings that sometimes occur during pregnancy.
- 100% non GMO certified-none of our ingredients have been genetically altered or modified at any point.
Our bars are kid and school friendly. The founder Arshad created these bars for his son who was diagnosed with autism.
- Free of the top 8 common allergens
- This means no peanuts, no tree nuts, no dairy, no eggs, no soy, and no gluten! In doing so, we make this bar school safe, where they can be brought to school in lunches or as a snack to substitute as a nutritionally rich and safe choice, unlike many other bars which are filled with nuts, wheat and added sugars.
- Minimally processed, certified GMO free, delicious, and raw
- Low glycemic load (3,4)
- This helps curb hunger because of the high carbohydrates and good fats. Great for when they come home from school, or off to practice, the bars will sustain the kids without a quick spike in blood sugar which can happen from added sugars in other snack bars.
Amrita bars are perfect for people who are trying to find healthier prepared foods at the grocery store.
- Free of the top 8 most common allergies-no peanuts, no tree nuts, no dairy, no eggs, no soy, and no gluten!
- They are 70% organic and 100% GMO free; these bars are friendly towards all users.
- Made in small batches to ensure freshness in the New York area!
- They pair great with an apple or salad from the quick stop to the store, to and from work, or picking the kids up from school, the convenience of nutritionally plant-based food at your fingertips.
Q: Will Amrita bars help curb my appetite?
A: Amrita bars should not replace meals in and of themselves but, owing to their high nutrient density, they do satisfy hunger between meals.
Q: How are Amrita bars made?
A: All Amrita bars are made locally in New York. They are made in small batches without chemicals, preservatives, synthetics, or pollutants.
Q: Where can I purchase Amrita bars?
A: See current locations at the Store Locator section. Please use the “Recommend a Store” form on the Store Locator page to recommend additional stores in your area. We will give $100 if your assistance made it possible for us to get on that store shelf. Additionally, we are offering very cheap shipping (4+ bars minimum) via our online store. We are even on Amazon!